by Scott Bourne
Assuming that we can all buy the same gear, and we’re all dedicated to our craft, and that we are good at what we do, what separates us and makes some of us successful while others fail?
I’ve been researching this topic for decades and I’ve identified some traits that successful marketers share. And these traits apply to the marketing of photography as well.
Here are some things to ponder:
1. Successful marketers are ahead of the curve not behind it. If you’re still not using social media; if you’re in denial about new technology, it’s unlikely you’re finding the kind of success you could if you moved into the fast lane. Be a trendsetter.
2. Successful marketers own their local market first, but always play for the national audience. Find ways to do the things the big boys and girls do, but do it on a local level.
3. Successful marketers piggyback all their promotional and marketing activities. Everything references everything. The Tweet stream links to the blog which links to the podcast which points to the Facebook account which refers to… well you get the idea.
4. Successful marketers no longer use purely interruptive approaches. They seek permission, they share information, they provide real value to prospects and they tailor their messaging and merchandising to the right people as opposed to a scatter-shot approach trying to sell ANYTHING to ANYONE.
5. Successful marketers put the needs of their prospects and clients ahead of their own.
If you’re not employing these tactics, then it’s highly possible that your lack of marketing skill, NOT your lack of photography skill, is keeping you from thriving as a professional photographer.
Illustration Credit: © Welf Aaron - Fotolia.com
Check out "Why?" one of the most popular features on the SCU Blog. It's a very simple concept - one image, one artist and one short sound bite. Each artist shares what makes the image one of their most favorite. We're over 100 artists featured since the project started. Click on the link above and you can scroll through all of the episodes to date.