Advice for New (or Old) Photographers?
1. Spend as much time marketing, learning marketing, selling and learning selling as you do learning and doing Photoshop.
2. Learn to run a business – develop a business plan, then a yearly marketing plan.
3. Do what your clients can’t do!
4. Be realistic – there is nothing wrong with having a small part-time photography business or going full time.
5. Watch the trends. If putting a couch in the middle of a field and photographing a family with lens flair is hot, then do it!
#6. Don’t listen to negative naysayers.
The most important thing...Never Stop Learning!
I've worked with Doug Box on different projects for close to thirty years, going back to my early Hasselblad days when he was part of the Kodak Pro Team. He's got an outstanding grasp on the the marketing side of running a business in addition to the technical side of being a terrific photographers. So much so that I've been known to steal a few of his business anecdotes here and there over the years. LOL
Just being passionate about photography isn't enough to build your business. As I've said in the past, what good is building strength to your skill set as an artist if your business doesn't survive?
A good example of Doug's uncompromising focus on quality was his answer to the question of, "What advice would you give new photographers?" The condensed answer is above, but there was so much good information that I took the liberty of turning it into a blog post.
Doug needs to be on your radar. So, take the time to check out his site . You won't be disapointed!
Images copyright Doug Box. All rights reserved.
ClickCon 2020 Circle the Dates!!
It's rare that a first year conference has the power that ClickCon brought to the industry this past August.
The dates have been announced for 2020 at the Palmer House in Chicago. August 11-14!
What a kick!
Check out "Why?" one of the most popular features on the SCU Blog. It's a very simple concept - one image, one artist and one short sound bite. Each artist shares what makes the image one of their most favorite. We're over 100 artists featured since the project started. Click on the link above and you can scroll through all of the episodes to date.