Two weeks ago I did a post on playing offense - here are some more ideas. I'm a big fan of playing offense versus defense and right now, even if you haven't done anything yet, you've still got time for some great offensive marketing plays before the end of the year, especially if your skill set is in portraiture.
1) Halloween and the Fall: From Halloween shots to pumpkin patches and fall themes there are endless opportunities for you to get people thinking about portraiture. It's also an ideal time to launch portrait type activities in your community. And, don't forget homecoming dances at the high school! It's only September 11. That still gives you time to get the word out and create a themed event in the "neighborhood".
2) Thanksgiving: There isn't a mother on the planet who doesn't want new portraits of her family. Even more important there isn't a grandmother who doesn't complain about not having up to date images of her grandchildren! So, when was the last time you did a Thanksgiving promotion? When was the last time you planted a seed to get people thinking about how outdated their family portraits are?
3) Those BIG December Days: Christmas and Chanukah are terrific times to plant the seed for gift ideas, but just don't shot gun the entire market. Think about your client base and everybody you already photographed during this past year or even two or more. Go back to previous clients and get them thinking about reprints, additional albums and new images to bring the family up to date. You've got to be the one to plant the seed and there's nothing better than the idea of a big framed canvas print as this year's special holiday gift.
4) Holiday Events: Remember all the different organizations in your community. Who's photographing the Rotary or Exchange Club holiday parties this year? What special events are sponsored by the Chamber of Commerce? How can your skill set enhance these events?
5) PTA: Parent Teacher Associations are active in virtually every school system from elementary through high school. Start getting involved and as the school year ramps up be active in the PTA in order to help strengthen your brand.
6) Start the Year Out Right: How a head shot campaign in your community? Seriously, look at all the retail stores around you and they range from restaurants to realtors. This is the perfect time to remind them it's time for a new head shot and get the year off to the right start!
Creating awareness for concepts like these, especially if you've never done them before takes time. You might not hit one out of the park your first time at bat, but remember to get a few shots of you working with clients for your own press releases. Build your stash of images of you being involved in projects like these so you can create awareness in the community with more press releases in the future.
And don't forget to look for partners! This is consumer bundling at its best and you've got limo companies, florists, venues and even other photographers to help you absorb the costs and create the excitement!
Photo Credit: © RobertNyholm - Fotolia.com