Virtually every time, that sends me back to the drawing board to rewrite it, be more specific and stick with the topic, the issues on a factual basis, leaving the emotion out and the main points in. Here are some points the next time you're in the heat of battle:
- Whatever you're writing, if it's a hot topic, don't send it until you've slept on it for a night.
- Don't use boldface or caps to make a point and definitely leave out multiple exclamation points. Writing a sentence and ending it with a string of exclamation points is the same as flipping somebody the bird!!!!! (see what I mean?)
- Could you get your point across better with a phone call or in person? Email is a horrible way to communicate over a hot issue and I've learned that the hard way.
- Share your thoughts with another family member or friend who's not involved in the skirmish. They can be objective when you're not.
- Last but not least - don't sweat the small stuff and most of the time it's ALL small stuff.